Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pieces of Me

Somewhat inspired by G2's Piece of Me when each week the paper asks a prominent figure to look back at their life through their favourite objects, I decided to challenge myself and see what materialistic pursuits matter most to me.

Not that I'm a prominent figure mind you, I just think it would be very interesting.

Or very depressing.

As it is I've moved something ridiculous like 14 times in 9 years. Even when I was responsible and bought a 3 bedroom house with The Ex to settle down and play not so happy families, never staying long enough to settle but just long enough to accumulate things that I felt I needed at the time.


1) My red cowboy boots. A bit scuffed and a bit worn but I treasure them all the same. And I'm wearing them right now.

2) My jewellery box. There's not alot in terms of high monetary value, no diamonds or precious jewels but I do own the most beautiful necklace in the world that was given to me by Lulu for my 30th, which only comes out on very special occasions. And a pair of beads from the 30's that belonged to my grandmother.

3) My photos. Of friends and travels and family. And my beat up old camera. I haven't yet embraced the digital camera generation, more a question of not having bought one yet as opposed to being technophobic.

4) My journals. All 12 years of them. It's always like a little journey to see who I fancied. And why. And question who was he?

5) My chanting beads. And my Gohonzon when I finally receive it in December.
(Or is that cheating as I don't yet have it?)

6) My Vivienne Westwood handbags. Shameful, I know.

7) My favourite books.

8) My mobile phone. Which I hate.
But it has loads of pics and texts and the phone numbers of the ones I love.

9) My diary. Because I would forget where I was supposed to be otherwise.
Or who I'm supposed to be on a date with this evening.

10) My kitchen gadgets. The Kitchen Aid mostly which I smuggled out of the Ex's house.

11) The painting Knickers gave me for my 5th year in England, which sadly has not yet been put up on my wall. I'm not allowed near drills.

After that, I can pretty much take it or leave it. I would of course make sure to grab whatever was left in the bottles of single malt or vodka tottering out in my impossibly high heels in the event of a fire, but the rest, I know I can always replace.

And as I am indeed a Lady, I can add to this list at any time dependent on my mood.

It's my prerogative.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... favourite books? That's a post in itself!