Tuesday, April 25, 2006

High heels and low lives

Vancouver, it seems, is not a city for high heels.

All day, women pass me by in practical flat shoes, trainers, low heels.

The Gorgeous looks at my new shoes with a mixture of distrust. To me, with a chunkier than average heel and a Vivienne Westwood inspired stub toe, these are *practical shoes*.

"Maybe you should get some runners..." she suggests, as I lay, my feet battered and sore, rubbing toes and carefully checking blisters.

I am not prepared for this, this west coast style where I am sent to interviews in high rises with ocean views, offices which are housed in log cabins nestled alongside beautiful coves, smiles and sunshine. I sat in a lounge this afternoon, 12 floors up waiting for my interview and pinching myself that the view of mountains and ocean was real, that this was my life now. Sat on the patio of the Kerrisdale sailing club last night, a glass of local Pinot Gris in my hand, watching windsailors framed against the sunset.

I have no regrets, and I have no expectations. This is all so new to me. London, where I could escape unseen, now seems a million miles away.

But I will not lie, it has been an uneasy unfurling. I had a panic attack in a busy street Saturday, overwhelmed by unfamiliar accents and wide open sidewalks. I feel like I am in a parrallel universe half the time, all this should be so familiar but is not, my hometown seems to have developed. 9 years has gone by for all of us, in buildings and development, seperations, deaths and unfulfilled dreams.

But it is a new start for all of us, I am finding ways of fitting in, of dodging the crazies who take my buses

"Oh dear, you are from England...?" The lady sat beside me, with the knotted hair and cat hair laying like accusation on her sleeve; pronounces it with a slight drawl, In-gu-lannnd...

"Do you, you know, live near the king?"

And I have to stifle a giggle. I am finding my own way. The Actor has called, wondering when he can see me. (Tomorrow - I am giddy!)

My employment agency has kept me busy with 5 interviews in 3 days, and I have already been called back in for a 2nd interview.
Things move quickly here.

You just need to be wearing the right shoes.

6 comments:

miss goLondon said...

you brought back all those feelings i had when i moved here. fun, scary, detached, connected. best of luck whilst you travel through this settling in process. i think the change will be amazing for you.

anywherebutTX said...

Sensible shoes are not for fabulous girls like yourself.... Don't give in!

lady miss marquise said...

I shall never ever give in.

I will break these shoes in if it kills me, I shall not go flat.

Hmmmm...

Well, maybe practical. Maybe I should invest in some sensible type heels, non? Like John Fluevog's with Angelsoles!!1

fb said...

Wecome back? Welcome home?

I'm not sure which is right for you on returning to Vancouver!?

lady miss marquise said...

Thanks Finn, not sure what it is myself either to be honest. Because it doesn't feel like being back or home so let's just say Happy New Adventures. I like that!

And yes, my feet still hurt. I think it's the damned hills.

Miss Devylish said...

Girl.. get yourself some cute sneakers to do the long walks down West 4th.. or down to the beach.. and lounge on a Sunday morning at Tangerine. The eggs bene's there are dee-vine!

But trust me.. you'll still need the heels to go out.. ;) Just get someone to drive you to your interviews girl.. geez!

And.. um.. excuse me.. what actor?? And when did you meet him? I want details!