Monday, June 19, 2006

Esoteric Part I: A Mishap, An Anecdote and the Urban Myth of the Naked Beauty Queens

"You're not going to write about me, are you?"
Esoteric looks a bit concerned as we settle ourselves down at Lucy Mae Brown for mojitos.

I can't say no. Really. But I can't say yes either because I'm never sure. Who gets written about, and who doesn't. There are still a few stories out there unwritten; the Pocket Sized Barrister for one. The FIB for another. Pierced Andy, the Bad Ass, The Lecturer. None, despite their interest, quite made it here.

There's no real selection process. Mainly the criteria centres around my dating mishaps, the whole mantra of it’s better to laugh at yourself than cry.
And you would think that after all the dating I have done and still do, I'd be well versed in all this.
A dating Guru. The Oracle of the Date.

Needless to say, if I was, I wouldn't be writing. Because you see, I have landed on the most bizarre dating scene I have ever encountered. Not with Esoteric himself. Just Vancouver in itself.

The single women I know moan about the lack of eligible men; at a party the other night I overheard a conversation between two very beautiful and very successful women in their early 30's compare dating notes. The conversation summed up when one, a former beauty queen, turned to the other and said *I could walk down the road naked and still not get noticed...*. The other agreed.
I have been warned that there is a lack of single men, that dating is hard. But according to a recent story by Gloria Chang, the urban myth that single women far outweigh the single men is revealed to be, frankly, pure bobbins.

So what is it about Vancouver? Do all cities have this same urban myth, that there are no men? In London, the city was teeming yet I am the first to admit that getting a date was incredibly difficult.
Here I have found no problems - I think mainly due to the fabulous marketing machine that is LavaLife, along with a very different attitude to single life.

Here dating seems like a chore that women need to get through in order to reach that *relationship* trophy. I can feel the urgency to couple up here, I can't remember the last time I had actually felt the pressure from the young women and men around me to be part of that elusive club. Where else can you find a company that acts as a head hunter for your love life?
I notice glances down at my left hand, subtle questioning to discover my status and the shocked, almost pitying glance when I reveal my singledom, feel them shrink back in case I may be catching.. This I still find amusing, I have been single for 3 years and if anyone would be worried, surely it would be me? Or should I be worried that I am not worried?

Granted, there are times when I think that it would be nice and maybe I am still healing from the trauma the Ex and I inflicted on each other. Maybe I am not ready, and maybe I am too damned scared. But I for one am not concerned right now, it's just not happened to cross my path yet.

And when it does, I am sure I will be ready to take it in open arms.

In the meantime, I hope there are still mishaps and anecdotes. Because surely that's what life is all about?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherish your time. Live your life for yourself. I think your attitude is the best one to have - I'm sure when the time comes, you will know it...it's not now, and that's okay.

PS could you go on...oh...at least 3 great dates for me, though? thanks!

LĂ©onie said...

I really like the phrase "mishaps and anecdotes". I feel like that's what life should be about.

Can I use it in a song, perhaps?

lady miss marquise said...

I may actually change my blog title, ha ha!

Ammogirl - watch this space. 3, you say? Done. Just er, don't get your hopes up, it may take awhile!

Lovely eonie - thanks for the clarification re: Tom! And of course you can use it in a song. As long as it's not about a hooker ;o)

Maddy - let's meet at Higher Ground some sunny afternoon and chat!

Oh, and my ticking clock? I'm not sure it even works...!

Miss Devylish said...

Ok.. I didn't like LavaLife myself.. I thought it was actually kinda difficult and hardly user friendly, however, there were a lot of Vancouver boys on it.

Do give us the scoop on Esoteric.. please?

And don't worry about the women who are all hot and bothered about being coupled. It's their insecurity and I find it goes around in places like Vancouver, Bellevue (east of Seattle), San Fran.. New York.. it's weird, but I think it's a particular kind of woman.. You shouldn't worry about it - if it happens it does. I know I've gone round and round in the 'search' and I don't want to be that person. You have to take advantages of opportunities, but to hunt them down like a dog is silly.. just my opinion tho.

"the b" said...

I think I want to move to Vancouver. London is HELLISH for trying to get dates. What can I do, short of proposing to the extremely gorgeous man in my office that everyone fancies...?