Wednesday, September 20, 2006

September

And suddenly it is September, the open windows of my flat betraying the warmth inside.

Jake and I sit on the beach holding hands, the cold September night teasing us with its promise. Smoke from his cigarette curls through his fingers, tapping away at unseen melodies.
Across the way, cars flicker and weave along Kits beach, couples walk slowly by, laughing.

We have time, he says, earlier that evening. Leans over and calms my fidgeting fingers. I cannot help it, my hands move from coaster to glass, straw to coaster and back again, a pattern of shredded paper. I am unsure of my hands tonight, unsure of words and action.

Later when we lay under the moon, I can hear the ocean against his chest. We have time, he says again, smiling, his arms wrapped around me.

There is a moment, early the next morning before the rain starts, before he wakes, still smiling, that regardless of what the next heartbeat, the next minute, the next day will bring, I am no longer afraid of falling.

I am happy.

12 comments:

mushroom said...

Wow, it really is the best feeling in the world isnt it?

Indiana said...

Knowing you can fall, and have someone there to prevent the crash at the bottom is a remarkably freeing feeling.

lady miss marquise said...

It's a good feeling indeed. And although I am not so sure there will be someone there to catch me after all - I just know that for that briefest of moments I realised how much I wanted to fall, and that for the first time in many years I wasn't afraid of it.
That, I think, is the most freeing feeling of all.

The worst I can get is a bruised ego and a broken heart, the best? An amazing adventure.

Or at the very least, something to help break the writer's block ;o)
x

Anonymous said...

It's all worth it, you know, if only for this happy you're in right now. No matter what happens, you'll always have this.

sophie said...

You beautiful euphoric
floating girl - keep falling -
it's the ether of life:)

Anonymous said...

aww. . that is so sweet!

"the b" said...

oh why do this to me... I'm being so successfully happily single at the moment but that's what I really want..

P said...

Yeah to happy girls, happy thoughts, and happy autumnal falling of more than just the leaves.

Now, fall on down to Seattle.

miss goLondon said...

great template, and bril photos. they are so full of life and sass.

unrelated to your post, i have a question for you. Who is the shoe designer/brand, for shoe designers? you know how they have the saying, the artist's artist? well who would be the brand in shoe terms? know how you are the expert, and thought i would canvass you for opinion!

lady miss marquise said...

God, you are all such lovely people! Thank you!

Sophie: I love that, the ether of life!

b: I'm sorry. Truly, I am. I am the perpetually single one, and being single is indeed fabulous and fantastic. This is all a discovery, and I may end up back where I started - just slightly wiser and better prepared to fall again.

Elise: Hello, thank you and welcome!

And thank you, Winters. Am pleased to spread a little joy...

Pix: My lovely, I'm working on the fall down. You'll see me very soon and trying to get down for your party ;o)

Holly: I'm stumped, really. I'll have to think about it.
Anyone else have a clue?

lady miss marquise said...

Oh and Ammo, I didn't mean to miss you off. You are very right x

Miss Devylish said...

Aww honey.. that's awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting this 'jake' and questioning him about his intentions.. *ahem* ;)