Friday, March 11, 2005

All fair in love and woe...

Despite the fact that I have a great career, a fantastic social life and the confidence that I am not a social pariah, I'm going to have to confess to one of my worst personality traits, those certain unsettling bouts of insecurity about men and dating. It is by far one of the most frustrating feelings in the world and believe me, I have read all those self help manuals before you ask, thank you very much. The best advice that I have read, and will now pass on is that by allowing myself feel those insecurities, I am not in control of my own emotions.
Wow thanks! Believe me, I could have spotted that particular observation a mile off, I am after all a woman and in no way am I in control of my emotions.

So I've subscribed to the whole "He's just not that into you" theory of Greg Behredent and Liz Tuccillo.

Now I steadfastly refuse to ask a man out.
Period.
If he's into me he'll ask me out.
Sounds simple, right?
Umm.
Not really.
Because sooner or later you're going to meet that particular guy and think wow, and all these theories we've carefully cultivated and established in our heads are going to start to look less than satisfying.

I don't play games, you'll say. I like him, you'll say, why shouldn't I contact him? Well I'm afraid to say that I don't have the answer to that gem. If I did, believe me I wouldn't be sat here writing this, I'd be revered as a dating guru and curled up in the arms of my own personal Adonis.

As it is, despite the cynicism, my new dating regime has borne marginally better success. Or so it appears.
I am also adamant that I will not make the first contact after the date, if he's really into me, he'll be in touch.
Right?
Sure.
Sure he will.

But the question still remains, why do we, as these strong confident women, allow ourselves to indulge in this inane and useless sense of insecurity? Surely we know better, know that we are worth more than that Casanova who says he'll call and then doesn't. He shows all the signs of being interested, and sends off all the right signals. Talk about misleading.

And if he wasn't going to call, I'd prefer to save myself that bruised ego and get the honest truth.

No comments: