Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Going back

So there it is, in the phone calls, voices crackling over mountains, land mass, oceans. In emails organising freight, and promises of snow capped mountains and a flat 4 blocks from the beach.

Coming home.

I had to.

Last summer amongst sun drenched vineyards, I knew. That sometime between then and now I'd have to make that decision, that 9 years had pushed and pulled me under, that the difference was somewhere between catching my breath and stepping forward or staying still while all around me changed. That going forward meant going back, that when I woke up and realised my dreams were tangible that it would be time. And so it is.

Now.

And the secret I've held onto, shared only with those closest to me, is now out. It had started to pick away at me, sleepless, and when I slept nightmares of amputated hands and my parents' back yard. Stuck somewhere between where I wanted to go and where I wanted to be. Somewhere between never settling, forever moving and a future where I could at a push, make tentative roots.

And so this week, I resigned.

Started a time line, booked freight to ship over books I could never part with, my bed, my table, photographs. I've started being ruthless; going through paperwork I've carried with me for 9 years, cards and letters, legal papers from the sale of my house (the last time I felt like a proper grown up). Looked up boot sales to sell all that which should go to a good home, made piles of the clutter that has followed me from house to house. Sentimentality cannot be budgeted.

And in between I've started to daydream, locked in limbo between now and what's to come, writing down what I'll miss and what I won't, what I'll gain. Tried to imagine my weekends, not along the South Bank but bracing against the bitter cold, learning to trust my feet again. Not spent lying on the Heath but amongst sand and sea. Of clean streets, and soft drawls. Of Sunday mornings not at Bar Italia over espresso, but with my flesh and blood, lazy fingers thumbing magazines at Caffe Artigiano.

Home.

The next few weeks will go by, suddenly and with purpose. There are bags and boxes to be packed, loose ends to tie up. I've changed my vocabulary; no longer fluid flippancy and vague suggestions but confirmed dates. Flights to be booked, a Canadian passport long since expired, to be renewed. Flurries of emails, CV's and favours to call in. Courses to be chosen, schools to be researched. Leaving drinks every Friday night at the pub round the back.

I shall miss it, London. More than I think I can ever say.

9 comments:

Miss Devylish said...

Aww.. my pretty soon-to-be-west-coaster.. I'm sorry there is so much of you that'll be left behind - but just think of the Seattle trips you'll make here to visit moi! And all the new places I have to show you, not to mention my wonderful Vancouver friends I'm happy to introduce you to - we're not London, but we do have our mysteries.. and fun. :)

Miss Devylish said...

Oooooooooo and you're going to be living in KITS! I LOVE Kits!!! Yay!

lady miss marquise said...

Hurray! Looking forward to it, and once I learn to drive again (!!!) and get my licence back, will be looking forward to the I5 drive.

And yes, Kits. I can't wait. There are so many great little coffee places around there.

Party with the misses!

fb said...

Oh...catching an exhibition in London with you might be a bit difficult now!

anywherebutTX said...

I don't envy you on the packing and the scheduling..... Have fun! :-)

x said...

that's one good thing about internet friends. you can take them with you, everywhere. good luck, xxx

Anonymous said...

Your bloody flatmates however get left behind like so much detritus. Did you not even stop to think about our feelings?

And what about the washing up? Who, pray tell, is going to do that?!

LĂ©onie said...

That sounds like such an amazingly brave step to be taking.

I hope so much that it all goes smoothly for you. I agree with Chloe, as well...

lady miss marquise said...

Hurray - you can all fit into my laptop and I can take you to Vancouver.

And Tony, it's called the new housemate. Choose wisely... And Chirac. He likes doing dishes.