Thursday, February 02, 2006

I really am a romantic.

I just hate Valentine's Day.

I always have. It's not a new thing, it's not a single thing. As it is, I split up with The Ex three years ago on Valentine's Day; a truly fitting and cheerful end to 5 years of co-habitual unhappiness.

The following year, I spent all day in the pub, got very drunk, proposed to the man in my local kebab shop (he said no, and looked horrified), was carried home by my dear friend Big Al, promptly fell off the chair I was left in and then had to be put to bed by Knickers.

Last year, a few days before the big ole V day, I posted a very very saucy handwritten Valentine to the very naughty Northern Mark, whom I was dating at the time. It was only later that day, he casually mentioned in an email that all his post was opened by his assistant. And that the long term girlfriend (of whom I knew nothing until this time and was a good friend of assistant) and he had been reconciled only the night before. Luckily I had not signed my name on the aforementioned letter.

Or left a forwarding address; otherwise I am sure I would still be looking over my shoulder.

And so, the day steadily marches on and when asked if I would be sending any Valentines this year, I thought no.

Until I saw this.

I think I may have changed my mind.

With love and kisses

Lady Miss M

x x x

9 comments:

fb said...

Fantastic site you've found there.

I once sent flowers to the object of my affection on VD anonymously then met up the following week...but it was a flat kind of Scooby Doo moment and nothing happened except a polite 'thank you'...there was no kissing or clothes tearing...

JonnyB said...

Mine once crossed in the post with the letter telling me that I was dumped. Which was bad enough, but I had WRITTEN A POEM.

x said...

that's fantastic! i might use it. I hate V day too. It really sucks. Lovey dovey couples having dinner in restaurants with red tablecloths, holding hands. Blech.

Anonymous said...

I agree that valentines is all media propanda but surely it's want you really want even though you can't or won't admit it to yourself. Be happy for those who have what you really want......

lady miss marquise said...

Ooooh, Finn. Sorry about the non tearing of clothes. Ouch! I had flowers sent to me anonymously for years, still to this day I have no idea who they were from.

JonnyB - thank you for visiting. Nothing like crossed wires, I can't believe you were dumped by letter. And a POEM. That is fabulous!

Chloe: Yes, I agree. Romance is a great thing, just not when it's coated in saccharine obligation.
I'm spending it with friends. At the NFT watching Breakfast at Tiffany's, come and join us!

Anonymous - yes, I think it's very good idea that the media are pro-panda, what with them being an endangered species and all. Save the PANDA! They're cute.

anywherebutTX said...

I usually spend VD with my dogs, a video and a bottle of wine. Last year I spent it with the Intoxicated husband......God, I LOVE my dogs!

LĂ©onie said...

JonnyB. A poem? My heart just broke a little bit, but in an amused way, so it's ok.

The best Valentine's Day I've ever had was spent with my best friend in a kebab shop in Nottingham. It had a restaurant in the back, we sat in there and they gave us free dips, because we looked, well, perhaps somewhat tragic.

The VD cards are a stroke of genius.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link! It's awsome.

Miss Devylish said...

Oh Anonymous.. poo.. go push your sunshine somewhere else. For those of us w/out a cute adorable boy, let us whine in peace.

I love the site.. gotta send some of those out to the girlfriends.. they'll love it.

I almost never have a valentine and just about everyone I know hates the day right along w/ all of us.