Wednesday, October 25, 2006

first day of school (again)

You don't want to be the first to arrive, nor the second. Nervously peering round corridors to ensure this is the right room, anxious enough to not try to initiate conversation. I arrive breathless and excited, become the third.

I look down at the desk, at my hands, rustle in my bag, lay notebook and pen together. Glance outside over False Creek and Granville Island. We sit there in silence, resisting the urge of school the shuffling feet, the rustling of the new arrival taking off her coat, gangs of laughing students passing by. A polite "Is this seat taken?"

I wonder if they are as nervous as me. I want to laugh out loud at the absurdity, but instead smile at the man who has just walked in.
I have often been accused of aloofness, but it is a shyness that keeps my eyes downward. I wonder what their stories are, why they are here.

Walking through the corridors with my prospectus grasped firmly in my hand, I pass students in their jeans and creativity. I feel a fraud, coming straight from work in my black suit and high heels, trying to banish that voice which says "You don't belong here" to the back of my mind where it no longer has value.

But I do. I do belong here, my camera bag rubbing against unopened film and developing reels, my hands on the desk in front of me, wishing the class would start.

And when it does, the silence shifts. Shoulders relax, somehow there is another energy already. We break the ice, introduce ourselves.
And in the break over canteen coffee, the beginnings of friendship start to emerge as nervous small talk gives way to creativity and curiousity.

I start to see in black and white images, devour the inspiration of Diane Arbus and Henri Cartier-Bresson, wish that when she walked past me, I had taken the opportunity to speak to Jane Bown in the Observer offices.

I am here because I want to tell stories, without words. Capture that perfect moment, that image. I am here because I want to be better than what I am right now.

And so here I am again.

8 comments:

sophie said...

I LOVE IT THERE:)

I love love love love it there -
you are bound to see me -
look for me in the gallery...

I spent the last two years there
part time in photog.

i MISS the lab.

(sigh)

Indiana said...

Good luck, learning to frame the perfect story telling shot, to capture a moment on film that is simply a snapshot memory letting the viewer see so much.

You should have fun...or get really frustrated ~grin~ Hopefully both.

fb said...

Well done! I talk the game but don't take part in the game!

Just make sure you enjoy it and if you can get more like that pic of Big Ben you'll be a winner!

Post a link to that Big Ben image again cause its a good one!

lady miss marquise said...

Sophie, I will look for you in the galleries. I love the lab there as well, it's such a great atmosphere!

Thanks Indy and Finn, I am having alot of fun although taking a 2nd course in web design was not the most intelligent thing I could have done but I am sure it will all work out in the end!

Here's the link for you
http://flickr.com/photos/66419320@N00/170997906/

LMM
x

Olive Oil said...

I'm so proud of you;)

[a} said...

Awesome how ur taking a photography course..something i've wanted to do for ages. G'luck!

P said...

This is very exciting!!!

If you ever need photo-whore subjects..ahem, I think you know a few in Seattle. I'm sure there are lots of nice trees, flowers, buildings, etc...and we have fat cats to photograph as well. Think of it as a business trip, really. :)

Good on you, girl - for starting into school again!

Anonymous said...

Sos brave of you.. it's tough.. but I know you'll find so many rewards in it! Sending you hugs!!