Thursday, November 02, 2006

kindness



Last night over wine and the clacking of many knitting needles and close camaraderie, one of the Stitchin' Bitchers shared this story with us.

Which got me thinking, how often do we put ourselves out? How often do we do something out of the kindness of our hearts that will make a difference to someone, whether it is big or small? Shared a laugh, smiled at a stranger, said a kind word or helped without thinking? Given something of ourselves spontaneously, randomly with no expectations for something in return?

The most precious commodities we have are few, but we all have time. Time to help someone we see struggling, time to give up our seat to someone who may need it more than us, time to acknowledge that person begging on the side of the road with a simple word. Time to give something back, with no expectations of what we will get in return.

5 comments:

sophie said...

so true -
and it's something we can do
everyday -
just peek around -

lovely post:)

Indiana said...

The simple act of kindness can be make all the difference in someone else's day.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could do more of those simple things.. I can't get to the link for some reason, but I can imagine what it says.. thanks for pointing it out sweet girl.

lady miss marquise said...

Hi Devyly sweet - try this:
http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=21530

Thank you all lovelies, I've noticed how little it is reported when someone does a kind turn, as opposed to all the bad news that's around.

I've been spending alot of time on the east side, and was shocked by my own naivety - and how unpredicatable life can be. I'm trying to get on the volunteer rota for the Salvation Army - I want to do something more, but not sure what yet...

ChickyBabe said...

Beautiful sentiments... there's nothing like giving because you want to give, and have no expectations but to make someone happy.