Monday, January 08, 2007

Sometimes I am not ready

My uncle Brian died on New Year's Eve, at home in his house by the sea, his family beside him holding his hand.

I am not sure I am ready to say goodbye, but I have no choice. Somehow, even though we knew, his death snuck up on me, took me days to process. Sitting on the beach with Lulu after hearing the news, it seemed farfetched and surreal.

I am not ready never to hear his laughter again, not ready never to see his smile again. I am not ready to sit at his table and never hear his stories again, walk along the beach with the wind at our back, and tease him when he falls asleep in his chair.

I am unable to find any words to try to soothe their broken hearts. Somehow, my words feel heavy, fall out of my mouth uncouth and uncut, I am ill prepared for this. For the sadness in my cousin's voice. Grief is selfish, it does not allow for us to share it amongst ourselves. It is cold and brutal and raw.

"He looks so handsome in his dark suit," my aunt tells my mother, voices crackling over long distance telephone lines. She is strong, my aunt.

Before he fell ill, my uncle bought new shoes. He liked nice things, worked hard, lived full. He will wear those new shoes Friday to Llandaff Cathedral and a celebration of his life.

My father reminds me of a prank he and my uncle played when they were kids, at the same cathedral which made the headlines of the South Wales Echo.

Mischevious to the end, I think he would have gotten a kick out of that.

8 comments:

Curly said...

Hey - Sorry to hear about your Uncle.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that I know his Son-in-law (I'm not sure how many he might have had) quite well here in Cardiff.

Devil Mood said...

I'm really sorry for this loss of yours. I don't think we're ever really ready, are we?

P said...

Hey doll: I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. The beach is the right place at those times, isn't it. Wild and noisy and quiet. Hugs.

Curly said...

Yep, relation confirmed - I work in the same small office as your Cousin R's husband, M. Spooky, huh?

He tells me you have a penchant for organic vodka..!

Unknown said...

Sending you strength and courage across the internet...and, of course, Happy Birthday, thoughts. Have an amazing day.

Unknown said...

I am sorry for the loss of your uncle, yet your description of him made him come so alive for me...

The lovely thing about grief is the fact that you miss all of the great things about the person lost. That your experience with them was such that there are things you will miss...

...that's the part that can't die, that you get to hold tight and take everywhere with you. The memories.

lady miss marquise said...

Thank you all for your words and support... x

Miss Devylish said...

Aw sugar.. I'm sorry I'm late to comment.. Losing a strong male figure like that is difficult. My father struggled w/ his illness.. and then one day he was just gone. When someone loses a father/uncle/similar figure it always brings me back a little cuz I understand, but you never want someone to have to. Sending hugs, however belated. xoxox