Thursday, January 04, 2007

Books (and the birthday countdown)


When I was younger, when the rest of the kids were running around playing tetherball or dodgeball, I was always the one in the corner, wrinkling my nose to push my glasses back into place, glued to whatever book I could get my hands on. Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown, then Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, The Secret World of Og, afternoons whiled away at a library or on the deck at the back of my parents' house.

Old books, cult books, new books, classics, horror, french, history, fantasy, selp help, poetry, clinical, visual, factual. I fell in love with words at a young age and although my tastes have changed over the years, it is an affair that has always remained true. I made pilgrimages to Hay and still will lose hours in book shops, gravitate to friends' bookshelves and run my fingers over the spines.

Some time back, I came across this blog , and in doing so managed to acquire a very beautiful copy of Wuthering Heights as a present for a friend, I have always loved old books.

Amelia then told me about Book Crossing, a global book sharing venture. Therefore tonight on my way home from work I am going to release a book into the world and hope it falls in with the right spirit.

And this weekend, I am going to do something I have not indulged in a very long time and which my body and soul are craving.

I am turning my phone off, retiring to my bed in the middle of the day while the snow falls outside with a cup of coffee and a good book.

(And in case you were wondering, it's a mere 6 days until the big day...)

9 comments:

"the b" said...

aaah... books! I'm in love with books too. I have far too bloody many of the things but I love nearly all of them. I can't believe that a day spent in bed reading is something you do not do very often! That's my usual Saturday...!

lady miss marquise said...

For some reason I have gotten out of the habit, there is always something that needs to be done, or friends I want to see, and then the holidays where everything was 5 times faster than normal. I absolutely cherished waiting for my flight because I got to the airport silly early, tarted reading "Perfume" and managed to finish it in the taxi on the way back to my flat...!
Simple pleasures!

Wanderlusting said...

I'm gonna check that Book crossing out...there is nothing I love more than books. Put me in a bookstore and I'll be happy for days!

Indiana said...

Books really are like best friends.

Devil Mood said...

Bliss, going to bed with a good book. I was one of those book addicts in my childhood as well, still am. There's nothing quite like reading a book and holding it in your hands, the texture, the typing...hmm :)

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Lady Miss.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday, and have a fabulous 2007.

Unknown said...

Good for you! I am in the middle of reading a novel again--post NaNo--and it is the best book ever and good to be back in the habit again!

madelyn said...

oh i am going to release
my "history of love"

i am so excited -
where should i leave it?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

omg i have an idea...

lady miss marquise said...

I loved History of Love. I read it and reread it and reread it again... good luck with the release!!!