Wednesday, January 10, 2007

t'is my birthday!




"This is a family tradition here, " Asa informs us, placing a lit tea light in front of each of us on the last night we are all together, on Kate's birthday.

And as we go around the table, we all make a birthday wish and give Kate our candles. Some of us have only recently met, but it doesn't matter, we are all touched by words and wishes. We wish her happiness and love, a year of success.
The next day we leave in waves, some back to the States, others to London. I am one of the last to leave, hobbling through Stockholm on my sprained ankle.

A year passes, and whether or not our wishes came true for Kate, the memory of that evening and the tradition of passing wishes has remained in my heart.

I have always loved traditions, Sweden's birthdays were beautiful with singing and happiness. After Kate's dinner out, we retired back to the flat and Sahar came out with cake, the girls behind her singing.

This year I followed Lulu back to LA for New Year, and the gorgeous Carolina insisted we all buy new underwear to wear on New Year's Eve.

"To bring us luck", she says, handing me a red pair. "For passion!"

And we are all to hop on the right foot and eat 12 grapes at midnight, apparently that too is a Brazilian tradition. I settle for some dancing and a few glasses of champagne, I am still not too stable on my right foot and refuse to allow a sprained ankle to become my tradition.

I did not make any New Year's resolutions this year, or last. On my birthday I made determinations. Some I have achieved, others fell by the wayside. It was a hell of a year, of upheaval and change and I still feel I am putting pieces back together.

And now, with 1 minute until I turn 32, with flour in my hair as I make cupcakes to take into work (this is an office tradition) I feel it is only fitting to have a wee reminesce about the past before putting all those hard learned lessons to good stead and moving forward step by step again. Because this year I know what I have to achieve.

This year, I
- shall fall in love, or at the very least allow myself that possibility
- love more, judge less
- remove the word *can't* from my vocabulary
- start my book
- take more photographs
- run 10k
- live my life with conviction, and be immaculate with my words
- open my heart to new possibilities
- smile more, laugh often
- dance, dance, dance
- find a well paying job that I love, that inspires me and where I can create enormous value
- travel places I have never been
- take the time to really be me
- get another tattoo
- make new friends and surround myself with positive energy, keep renewing the beautiful friendships I already have
- be considerate and kind to myself, my family, my friends, the environment and strangers
- read more
- open myself up to limitless possibilities
- seek out local artists, new shows, music and theatre


This list I know will change, will grow, will be adapted to each new challenge as it arises. Last year, in my diary I had these words from Daisaku Ikeda on the front page so that I could start each day with this advice...

"Live! Live with all your might!"


This year, I am going to do just that. That is my birthday wish to myself.

16 comments:

Girl said...

Happy birthday from a lurker.

LĂ©onie said...

Hope it was lovely.

I smiled so much reading your resolutions/promises. They seem such good ones.

Also the quotation is great! Maybe you could get that tattooed on - you wouldn't forget it then!

I also want to get another tattoo this year.

Happy Brithday, happy year.

xx

madelyn said...

"I am lost in the middle of my birthday. I want my friends, their
touch, with the earths last love. I will take life's final offering. I will take the last human blessing."

...Tagore


Happy birthday and i love your
intentions...

lady miss marquise said...

Just a Girl: Welcome lurker, it is always nice to meet you!

Leonie: True, I could get it tattooed! I am looking at different words for peace and love, so we'll see what happens...

Sophie: Darling, thank you! I love it. x

Devil Mood said...

Hey, Happy Birthday! :)

A birthday and new year resolutions - this is a very important day - I hope it's a happy one too!

fb said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

May your might be mighty and your life be errr lively!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday one day late!
(I love the look of your blog)

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns fellow Capricornian!

P said...

This year you promised yourself to "take more photographs"...so, let's see them toots. I'm sure you took some on your birthday. Let's see fabulous you!

lady miss marquise said...

Thank you lovelies and fellow capricornians and such and such and such!


Pixie doll, I will post some pictures soonish, because even though I do dtermine to take more pictures I um, well. Haven't yet.
xx

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a lovely birthday, dear Lady Miss!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated, my dear! I love the idea of birthday determinations...best of luck in every endeavour this year!

Rachel said...

Loved your new year traditions including the sexy undies, a must for all gals everywhere. Hope the birthday was good, and I loved your list of New Year wishes, get going on them then, especially the laughing and dancing, the rest will follow

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I love that image of you with your hair in the cupcake making process!;)

Age becomes you--I am so tired of making resolutions and lists...I did not plan to blog and here I am. It would never have been something that occurred to me, but here I am meeting lovely people like you...so life happens whether you plan it or not

...let love rule--I wish it for you too!

Miss Devylish said...

And I'm happy to help you w/ some of those if you can help me w/ mine! Yay! Hope it was all amazing and lovely. You deserve the best sugar.. really really! xoxo