Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Interpretation

It is amazing how differently we interpret words and gestures, sounds, a look. Listening carefully but only hearing a select few words which wrap themselves around our subconscious, and then lay silently waiting.

He walks into the room, flustered, and introducing himself takes the book from my hands.
"I am always interested in what people are reading." He holds the book at arms length to see the title, glasses perched precariously on a thin nose.
Polite chitchat, a discussion about the book. I am expecting no more than for him to quickly glance at my lab results, and send me away for a retest.

Nothing too serious. I am relaxed, tired of trips from here to there and back again; B12 and folic injections and blood labs. I am quickly overcoming my irrational fear of needles.

In a moment, his demeanour changes. He looks at the papers in front of him and fires a volley of questions, querying symptoms and tests, health history. I am caught off guard, trying to remain calm.

"Do you take medication? Anything at all?" He asks me this 3 times.

"No," I say, "I don't even take pain killers."

The words I hear before can I catch myself ring soundlessly through my ears.
I take a deep breath and listen again, for a few brief seconds I cannot hear anything, can only watch his mouth open and then shut, aware that there are sounds escaping from his lips.

"I'd like to send you for a head CT scan, I'd like to rule out the possibility of a tumour."
There is a ringing in my ears, I can barely hear what he says next. I know I ask a question, maybe 2. He reassures me. It is very rare, this condition. Precautionary measures.

I follow him through the corridors back to the nurse station, he shakes my hand and over the counter I can see the words STAT written beside the scan request.

Sometimes a word can be interpreted too carelessly, taken for granted its one dimensional persona, sometimes we do not take time to see past all layers its meanings hide.

Tumour, for example, literally means: a swollen part; swelling; protuberance.. It is the thoughts we associate with these words that cause our minds to race. I know I am a dramatist, I take for granted all the different miracles my body performs each day. I know that in my mind, a word hides many meanings.

I interpret tumour in a way that knocks the wind from me, replaces my calm assuredness with fear. I am not afraid to admit that I am frightened, and I am not afraid to admit that even after phone calls to my other doctor, to friends, to my sister and the reassuring tones that even if, if, there is anything it will be benign, I am still frightened.

5 comments:

Devil Mood said...

I'm sure it's nothing serious! I mean, everything is serious but this won't be anything to worry about.
It's only natural to be scared, shocked..after all, we only have one life (that we know of), one body that we take for granted everyday. You wouldn't be ok if you weren't frightened.
But you'll be fine :) When are you doing the scan? How have you been feeling?

"the b" said...

It's frightening stuff, babe, don't feel bad about being scared. It's easy for us (me) who've not been through it to say this, but try to take it as it comes. Try not live those bad news scenarios, or even those good news scenarios, until they happen. Right now, what have you got? A possible growth, very likely, if a growth at all, not to be a dangerous one. Live with that and cross all those other rivers as they come up, talking to as many people as possible along the way. You've got the heart to get through this whatever happens.

xx

xx

Fuser said...

Hi, we have never met. I read you every now and then, and your last post triggered this comment of mine. I'll be back again, and you'll keep writing...again and again.
Good night. Fede

Pomgirl said...

That is scary stuff to deal with, pet. It would knock anyone sideways. Thinking of you. xxx

Miss Devylish said...

Ok.. I just got chills and you didn't call me little lamb. I'm calling you asap. loves!