Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Apparently my pitituary stalk is nice. I'm so proud of its manners.

Turns out it is a tumour after all.

But only a little one.

Preliminary results suggest that nestling lovingly along the anterior lobe of my pitituary gland is a 1- 2mm microadenoma.
The good news is that it is most likely benign, it can be treated without surgery and it is treatable.

I don't have an enormous amount of information to hand and I have limited my web research as there is alot of scare mongery out there - I'd rather get my facts clear and concise; my referring doctor is on holiday and doctor who gave me the results was a woman of little words. Granted, pitituary microadenoma and endocrinologist were amongst those few words so can you blame her? I have been trying to pronounce them all afternoon and am still tongue tied.

There is an enormous amount of relief with this, I think the last 3 weeks waiting for these results have taken a toll I hadn't appreciated. There have been a lot of "what ifs', and although I think we were all convinced it was something else entirely, I'm glad I know, so that we can start working around something. The irony is that there have been symptons for a number of years, symptoms I habitually ignored. And several of the symptoms prevalent with these tumours never presented themselves. I will not go into details, but let's just say there was none of that lactating business.

Walking home from the gym this evening, I felt like screaming. Or crying. Not out of anger, or fear, but out of a general desire to feel something. Anything. I wanted to stand at the edge of a cliff and just yell and hear my voice echo back.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be seeing a variety of different doctors and will make some decisions about treatment. I will have questions, and will perhaps not hear what I want to hear. Or maybe I will. I don't know.

I just know that there is one more hurdle behind me, and more in front. As long as I keep moving forward, I will be just fine.

10 comments:

Indiana said...

You must feel some relief at knowing that although you have still a ways to go that it is something known and fixable.

Sending the happy vibes your way.

lady miss marquise said...

Thank you, Indy ;o)

I'm incredibly lucky to have an amazing support network around me right now.
x

Devil Mood said...

Yes, you will be fine!
I guess waiting for the results for so long and wondering and fearing may cause a little explosion now you know the truth.
It's great to feel something, feel everything at the same time.
Keep thinking positively, it always works :)

Anonymous said...

It's awful waiting for results like that. Even when the waiting is over, it can take a while for the realization that you are going to be fine to set it - and you are. So hooray!

Have a lovely weekend, dear Lady Miss.

P said...

Be well, sweetie.

"the b" said...

It's possibly too early to say thank goodness, babe, but that's what I'm thinking. So glad it's dealable with but dealing with these things isn't necessarily easy. Good luck over the next few months,
xx

Fuser said...

I am glad to hear that you just got this news. From were I am from we say: "I don't want to say anything else", meaning that the less you say the better it is. Take care. I'll be back now and then. Good night and good luck.

fb said...

Thank you for keeping us updated and keep that big smile going!

Rachel said...

Waiting so long and trying to second guess everything just destroys your calm and confidence. Now you know what you are up against that is good. Don't force yourself to feel, there will be days when it will all come out anyway, and on those days, that is why blogger and us are here!
Sending you huge vibes

bobbie said...

Crikey. Well, I suppose knowing is better than not knowing. But we're thinking of you, kiddo.