Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Waltz

It's been so long since I properly fancied someone I'm not entirely sure what to do. I can fall in and out of love at the drop if a hat, fantasise about that man who just walked past me but to have a crush, a weak at the knees, hot flush, cannot speak crush... well that's a completely different matter.

I do have the odd mini crush here and there, with people I know I shouldn't and men I know I'd never really want to bring me Sunday morning papers and coffee. Even the last few fleeting relationships I've had have been with men I was fond of, whose company I somewhat enjoyed, rather than than a truly overwhelming want to be with them. I always felt as if I called the shots, the curtain would come down and it would be The End when I got bored enough to call it.

And there have been a few others who got me all tongue tied, whose very presence dissolved any ability from me to make conversation, let alone hold their gaze. Men who as soon as I saw them made me weak at the knees, and turned me overwhelmingly shy so that instead of appearing cool and calm, I came off as rude.

This is then where the major problem arises. Now that The Swiss has made me realise that it is okay to ask a man out, I all of a sudden have a new found power. It is possible after all to go up to that smart, sexy, attractive man whom I fancy like mad, smile and deliver... *Shall we go for a drink?* or some other slick and sassy invite.

As an old fashioned kinda gal who hasn't had to ask a man out in years, the prospect simply terrifies me; as that smart, sexy, attractive man has already rendered me a paralyzed mute, how ever am I ever going to be able to waltz over and get those simple six little words out?!

4 comments:

miss goLondon said...

It seems to me with British raised men you almost have to ask them out? i have been Trying to perfect the quasi-ask out. whereby you all but ask them out, but effectively lead them to you with a bread crumb path made of flirt and smiles so that they are spoon fed the words and feel almost confident in doing so. emphasis on Try though...

Kate B. said...

You and I should hang out. :-)

Re: pulling guys.... pick one you like the look of, wait until he meets your gaze, hit him with a *look*, wait a beat, then smile. If he's up for it (i.e. not gay, and is available and/or honourable) he'll be putty in your hands.

Works for me anyway. Give it a shot - and of course, let me know all the details... :-)

lady miss marquise said...

Yes, my flatmates have all told me that British men need to be more than spoon fed. They need to be told bluntly that you'd like to go out with them.

How frustrating is that?! Where's the fun? The chase?

fb said...

Being rejected is hard.

Looking for that huge hole to swallow you up as your heart thunders inside...just to ask...

'Would you like to got to...'

Only to be shot down or accepted...

I'm getting palpitations at the thought.

:(