Monday, July 17, 2006

Do I have to put the hat on too...?

"...Three things..." I start, cradling the phone; my voice husky from far too little sleep and far too much alcohol. The Nurse, reticent on the other end.

"One. You tried to snog me on the dancefloor..."


I am scared the Nurse has stopped breathing.

"Two. I have photographic evidence of you dressed in a PVC policewoman's outfit..."

I know she's alive as she has issued a little whimper.

"Three. I have lost Scott..."

I hang up. The bed is spinning in the room, and despite me holding on for dear life, I cannot stop it.

It had started innocently enough. A few drinks with the Nurse, and then a text from Scott saying he would be in town. A brand new credit card and the company of 2 of my dearest friends later, things, as they do... well, all went a little downhill.

It started at Bimini's, followed us through to champagne cocktails at Lucy Mae Brown, a few cheeky drinks at Morrisey, and then... sadly, all fell apart at Doolin's.

"Whatever you do," the Nurse says, "no shots..."

Oops.

A nod to the waitress and the table of young men beside us later, and the Nurse had forgiven me. Wrapped as she was around a delightful young man whose name, I believe, escapes us all.

A dare later, we were stood in Granville Street's finest. I said..." just pick it up, hold it against you and ask the complete stranger what he thinks...".

When I turned around, The Nurse was gone. A bump, a mutter and a crowd of young men pointing me in the right direction.

"Do I have to put the hat on, too...?"

Stepping out of the dressing room, resplendent in PVC.

"...or are the glasses enough?"


I am speechless. And so I do what only a best friend would do.

I commit that memory to technology. Drag her by the hand and take her back to the bar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to compliment you on the beautiful site redesign and then realised that Ben and I had been dumped from your links list. Why LMM? Why?

Also I met Lloyd from your old workplace and he mentioned something about you being 'fun at parties'. I have no idea what this means.

lady miss marquise said...

You'll be pleased to see, my dear friend, that you and Ben have now rightfully been restored back to *the fabulous*...

...and I do not understand either what Lloyd meant. Mayhaps it was my love of sambucca, or my secret appreciation of AC / DC and The Cult at the Christmas party.

Flatter me and my new redesign all you want now. Thank you.

Miss Devylish said...

*Flatter flatter*

Now.. PLEASE tell me there will be dressing up when I arrive at your doorstep! Ooh I'm so very excited!!

lady miss marquise said...

Of course Miss D - there shall be much debauchery and debacle for you!