Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Drink and dial

The Nurse reminds me of a time, when we were just legal and our Monday nights involved being down at the China Beach knocking back $1 glasses of green beer or Tuesday nights at Luvaffair or Thursday nights at Kits Pub or any other night from Monday to Sunday and we would wake the next day, stare at the wreckage that was my untidy bedroom, and there in the middle, amidst CD's and discarded outfits, it would sit. With a clear path around it, like a beacon.

My telephone.

And we would look at each other in horror, wondering which current or potential beau had received the phone call in the early hours, too hung over or too embarrassed to try to remember.

When I first moved to the UK, my phone bills were extortionate as a result of the drink and dial. Not to mention my complete inability to work out the 8 hour time difference in my inebriated state.

And then came the text message. The Nurse's mobile phone is now confiscated at an early stage of the evening, as she is a serial dialler.
I, a slave to my phone, cannot bear to be parted and therefore have admissions of drunken texting. Feeling the embarrasment the following day when checking my sent messages in order to piece together the evening. I try to refrain, my dignity seeming to be a much more important feature in my life these days but like everything, I tend to regress sometimes.

And then this. Samsung has taken it one step further, unveiling a phone that will lock you out if you are over the limit and therefore rendering you incapable of the drunken midnight phone call.

Drink and dial will never be the same.

7 comments:

Miss Devylish said...

That's a stellar idea! Love it!

galatea said...

I reckon that drunken dialling serves a useful evolutionary purpose - i.e. your subconscious knows when men aren't any good for you etc and prompts you to do drunkenly what you'd never have the balls to do sober.

The Dog of Freetown said...

Samsung shouldn't do that. Relationships will fall apart. For some men it's only when blind drunk and on the verge of convulsions that they can actually ring their partner to say those three magic words.


Call a cab.

"the b" said...

oh so boring! It might protect you from a lot but would you want everyone else to have the same thing? I only ever find out what my friend REALLY thinks about what's going on in her life when she calls me drunk at 2am. She's got so good at refraining in her old[er] age that I really feel quite out of touch with her these days...!

Plus, Kieran is absolutely right. Men are great when they drink and dial.

lady miss marquise said...

Limited edition! I think that needs to be key. Only a select few of the population are allowed them at any one time.

Although, I feel a little left out. I can't remember the last time I got a drunken message... hmmm...

"the b" said...

I had the most hilarious one from a guy who works in the same offices as me. There had been a rather ill-defined flirtation for months and we'd both decided that it was a bad idea to progress it any further, for various reasons. Then one night he calls me and leaves a message on my phone saying something like:

"I really love you B, I think you're really shaggable in a totally platonic way, well no, of course not in a totally platonic way..."

I think I got what he meant.

lady miss marquise said...

It's so Bridget Jones, B!